- We’re wrapping up work on the MoFo Interim Dashboard
- The only other data source we’ll add is the badge counts for webmaker mentors & hive community members
- This is still our MoFo working document for the time being
- Then, we’ll switch our development efforts into integrating with Project Baloo
- Baloo is where we will de-dupe contributors across teams/tools etc.
- areweamillionyet.org will become our working document in time (‘time’ is TBC)
Switching to Plan A
The MoFo contributor dashboard we’ve been working with this year is our *interim* counting solution, and just as we’re “completing” it we’re now in a position to switch from an interim solution to a fully integrated system which is properly integrated with MoCo. This is pretty good timing, but it’s a change in scope for our immediate work so is worth a status update.
Within MoFo we’ve deliberately been working on a Plan B solution. This is a relatively crude, not de-duped, not a single-source-of-truth dashboard, to give us the quickest visibility we could get into contributor trends. But as we’ve noted from the start, this solution keeps in mind Plan A so that we can transition to it when we’re ready.
We started our work with this Plan B because two existing projects were underway that could be our Plan A and we didn’t want to duplicate these efforts and/or sit around idle as we didn’t know for sure when either of these could be used ‘in anger’.
Project Baloo (formerly Wormhole/Blackhole) was the most closely aligned piece of work, but there was also work to issue contributor badges which was another possible place to count the number of people contributing. Both of these projects are complex because they span many teams and systems and the philosophically-quicksand-like question “what counts as contribution?”. So we didn’t know exactly when we could use either of these as our data-store.
As of last week, Baloo is a functioning data-warehouse with working aggregations setup for a number of MoCo teams. Which means we can begin our switch from Plan B to Plan A (or more accurately our *transition* to Plan A, as this will take time).
The dashboard at areweamillionyet.org which was being demo’d with purely github data when we launched it a couple of weeks ago, is now using data from Baloo’s de-duped aggregations across Github, Bugzilla and SUMO activity. For now, the output of this work is sitting in this Google Doc, and graphed with the help of a little node app.
There are many more teams and systems to integrate into Baloo going forward (across MoCo and MoFo), and there’s a fair bit of automation to work out, but this dashboard is a real example of how this can work. This is Plan A in action, and where we can focus our efforts next.
So, for MoFo colleagues, what does this mean in practical terms?:
- Continue using the existing dashboard as our working document
- Continue using the adhoc logger for counting contributions that don’t have a record anywhere else
I will limit the open work on the Interim Dashboard to:
- Minimal update to the interface
- Adding in numbers for Webmaker Mentors and Hive members via badges data
- “Won’t-fixing-ing” some bugs where the effort is now better spent on Plan A
I will file bugs and start working on:
- Getting raw contribution data into Project Baloo
- Documenting the conversion points in a way that’s more consistent with MoCo’s
- Joining up the documentation for this with MoCo’s existing info